Track Review; Dereck Mpofu - Mari

Dereck Mpofu's vocals reminds me of Jabu Khanyile a lot. He rose to fame with the track Chisikana Changu Zimbabwe where he was advertising the beauty of Zimbabwe. Loved the last track he released; Dzoka Kumba featuring Cynthia Mare, did a review of the track when it was released : Dzoka Kumba Track Review. I'm a huge fan of his style and the way he structures his music, he addressed serious social issues in an innovative and comical way. He has released an album titled Godobori and i'm yet to get my hands on a copy of the album...would definitely love to do an album review. Was very happy when I came across this single from the album whilst browsing soundcloud and after a couple of listens I decided to share my thoughts and views of the track.




The track was produced by the Legendary Clive Monomukundu and he did a superb job on the production of this one. The guitar work is done very well (that is a given with Monomukundu behind the prodution), the overall arrangement is standard and the instrumental is sounding good. 

This track is about money, the joy of having money, having the ability to spend some money. People everywhere are looking for money or ideas to make more money. Money makes the world go round so day and night people are looking for money to make ends meet. With the current economic situation in Zimbabwe everyone is running around trying to get some cash.

The best part  of the song is the way he structured the lyrics, the intro makes me cringe, it shocked me on the first listen and it still does even after a lot of listens. You just cannot get used to hearing someone say "unonaka iwe". Dereck Mpofu nailed the vocals, he managed to complement the chilled out instrumental very well, his vocals are perfect for this kind of sound and arrangement.


In overall I'm loving this track, it's well produced, well sung, theme is on point and the layout/structure is just superb. I'm loving this track. Coincidentally I came across this track at a moment where I'm broke as hell so I can relate to the track on a much more deeper level.

What are your thoughts on the track??
Proud_Zimbo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZiJudgement Yard Volume Vol 23, 24 & Zimdancehall Vol 2

Judgement Yard Mixtapes: Volume 25 & 26

Mixtape Review : Brythreesixty - Purple Mars