Songs That Made My Childhood

Music has been part of my life from childhood. It has shaped how I see or view the world. Music is one of the best triggers for memories and hearing a certain song on the radio or online leaves my mind flooding with some wonderful memories. As a 90's child I have managed to witness some of the most amazing classics Zim has to offer. Managed to grow up during the period where ZTV was still good and shows such as Ezomgido Afro Beat and Coke On The Beat were the top music shows on TV. Back them there was no MTV, Trace or Channel O if one wanted to hear music the aforementioned shows is were one would get he latest and most happening tracks.



Firstly will define childhood as the period from birth to when I completed my grade 7 education, in (2002)

Below are some of the 10 tracks that made my childhood:

1) Extra Large - Kushamula Newe
At the early days of the Urban Grooves Movement these guys quickly rose to the top and were very influential. They have a lot of tracks that I loved like crazy but today will chose this one. Kushamula Newe has a feel good vibe to it and an infectious chorus. Couple that with some outrageous verses and an awesome instrumental (superb keyboard work) this was a major hit. This track did a lot for me in terms on expanding my scope of music, it opened my eyes and ears to new kinds of music.



2) David Chifunyise - Tauya Naye (Remix)
This songs is iconic. It came at a period when David Chifunyise was at the pic and it did received a lot of airplay on radio and TV. This was at the beginning of the Urban Grooves Movement and every young Zimbo was behind this track, even the elderly ones loved the track. I could sing word to word on this track.



3) Innocent Utsiwegota - In My Dreams
This track got everyone crazy. It single handedly made Innocent Utsiwegota a household name. The track even to today its still sounds amazing, and that's a testament of the production quality. Besides the easy to sing along chorus and the superb Major E and Booker T verses the track had a great video for its time. Above all there was a kiss...haaa it was the first time seeing Zimbos kiss on a music video so ya it blew my mind away.



4) Somerai - Mudiwa Wangu
This track is quite old but its a timeless classic nonetheless. Growing up this was the track the bigger guys would sing and dedicate to their girlfriends. Its definitely one of the best ever love songs to come out of Zim. The track has been sampled a lot by many artists and every time it does the trick and wins Zimbos over. Not knowing what love is then but sang along to the track, word to word.



5) Fortune Muparutsa - Wangu Ndega
This is another classic, and it had a great video to with it. Would wait for Ezomgido and Coke on the Beat to listen and jam to this track. Its easy to sing along and has a bouncy instrumental and it would make me dance but then every time it reached the last verse life would get very hard...the condom condom part always made me cringe and hide.



6) Papa Joze - Ndochi
This track is infectious, the way its structured is made to get you singing along. Despite me not knowing all the lyrics besides the "yoo yoo yoo" it did not stop me from singing along and dancing. The track has a serious Rhumba feel and when it dropped on Ezomgido it was time to show off my rhumba skills.



7) Assegai Crew - Kanyama Karipi
This jam was the jam. Comical and superb. It has a nice reggae feel to it which had a lot of Zimbos rocking to it. It always got me happy. The catchy lyrics got me singing everytime. Loved this track. the video was also hilarious.



8) Leonard Zhakata - Hupenyu Mutoro
Love Love the beginning of this track, the way the bass guitar enters. Zhakata with his MJ kind of dressing and appearance got me drooling over the jam....Zhakata oozed class. Had no idea of the depth of the lyrics just loved the dressing, dances, the beat and the chorus.



9) Taso - Pandaikupfimba
This guy charmed his way into my heart with his killer dances. His signature dance  was enough to make me a big fan. his digong kind of style was awesome and the stare he gave the camera hahaha.



10) Charles Charamba - Machira Chete (1999)
Growing up in the 90's Baba Charamba constituted nearly 75% of the gospel music I knew and sang along to. He is a legend for sho, some even say Baba Charamba has sang the whole Bible. AFM Mash East would camp at my school every April holiday for 4 days (Thur - Sun) and Baba Charamba would come to perform on sat and this track was the most demanded the conference after it was released. The song stuck with me more than his other tracks because of that.



These are the ones I can think of right now. Feel free to comment with 10 tracks that made you childhood.


Proud_Zimbo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZiJudgement Yard Volume Vol 23, 24 & Zimdancehall Vol 2

Judgement Yard Mixtapes: Volume 25 & 26

Mixtape Review : Brythreesixty - Purple Mars