Seh Calaz - Reggae Dzinorira Album Review

Seh Calaz is undoubtedly a Dancehall icon, he played a vital part in ensuring Dancehall became a household name and biggest genre in the nation. He has played the villain part very very well, he is the antagonist many love to hate. His rise of going against Winky D who was deemed untouchable provided the perfect entry and then his beef with the most influential artist of the 2010's Soul Jah Love pushed local Dancehall to a level never unseen before.

Seh Calaz loves being the antagonist and the release of this album was a showcase of that. Despite the popularity of Winky D, he chose to release the album on the sane night on a venue close by. The two artists attract different crowds and both shows were well attended but it got many talking. 

Calaz is the best at reggae in Zim and he announced that this new album would be a reggae album and that got many excited. Add to that the fact that he decided to launch this album the sane day as Winky D, the excitement got even higher. Personally have enjoyed his reggae projects, my favourite being Reggae Love Story, that's a fantastic piece of work. So definitely wanted to see how he was gonna fare at this one, so I got my copy and today will be sharing my views and thoughts on the album.


1. Mama

Seh Calaz on this track is saying Mana I will make you proud, I will be a good role model. The production is done well. The arrangement is spot on, a bit different from all the other tracks but it's sounding good. 

2. Ndaenda

On this track Boss Yala is saying they place curses on me, they want to destroy me. If it were not for the Lord he would be dead by now. The production is done well. 

3. Shasha (Gone Are The Days)

The instrumental on this track is flames, its well arranged. The vocals are also top level. Calaz is saying things have changed, what used to be the norm is no longer the norm. Gone are the days where it was only the guys who made the ladies cry in relationships, the ladies nowadays can equally break your heart despite how innocent they may seem (Shiri yabvuta reketi). Calaz delivered a solid performance. 

4. Reggae Dzinorira

The title track is Calaz is saying why do you want to belittle me, why do you want to discard me, you know what I am about though. However despite your actions the Lord is for everyone and I keep on going, I keep on making good reggae vibes. The production is done well, Calaz delivered a solid performance. 

5. Haundide

On this track Boss Yala is saying don't say what you do not mean. Don't say you love me too when you don't mean it. He is regretting the pressure he put on the lady to win her as he is now suffering from a heartbreak she has put him through. The track is well produced. 

6. Ndichichema

Calaz is narrating his sad love story, he is saying that person who means the world to you now may leave you crying and heartbroken one day. Calaz dedicated this song to his ex wife, he is saying you won't see me cry but am in pain. I thank you for the child you gave me and we will forever be in each others life. Production is done well and he delivered a solid performance. 

7. Zvandaida

Boss Yala is saying my heart is in pain with the way life has dealt with me, the life I am living is not the life I envisioned. This is a song that many in Zim can relate to, many we are forced to do various stuff to make living, stuff which is different from what we wanted. Production is done well. 

8. Usabate

This addresses that tricky subject of cellphones in relationships. Calaz is saying do not touch my phone as you may not understand the context of what you may find and that will destroy the good thing we have. Production is done well. 

9. Usavajaidze

Seh Calaz is saying refuse to be a pushover, stand your ground and fight to do what you want to do. The production is done well, the arrangement is spot on, Sunshine did a solid job on the production here. Calaz delivered a solid performance. 

10. Iye Ndiye

Calaz is saying the lady I am in a relationship with is the one, she is the one I want to be with till death, she is the one whom I want to introduce to my family. The production is done well, the arrangement is good. Calaz delivered a superb performance on the track. This is one catchy track. 

11. One Drop Murudo Murudo (ft Various Artist) 

Seh Calaz teams up with many many artists (Mannex, Mbeu, Guspy Warrior, Daruler, Terry Africa, Gary Tight, Kinnah, Ricky Perplex, Kadhijah, Mic Inity, Ras Caleb, Ndunge Yut, Celsius, Dino Mudondo, Moosafa, Cello Culture, Dancehall Kedha) and they are celebrating and advocating for love among each other. Production is done well. All the artists did well, this is one of those tracks that make you smile. 

12. Mutadzi (Im a Sinner)

Calaz is saying I am a sinner but the Lords still loves me, despite his imperfections the Lord still loves him. The track is well produced, the arrangement is well done. Calaz delivered a good performance.

13. Kuzvinzwisisa

Boss Yala is saying I am conflicted within me and now I do not fully understand where I stand in my heart when it comes to love. I get hurt many times but somehow I find myself back in the game. The track is produced well. Calaz was good on the vocals. 

Stream the album: Reggae Dzinorira

So ya that's it for Reggae Dzinorira and Seh Calaz has delivered. He continues to cement his place as the best reggae artist in Zim. 

The production is done very well throughout the project. The instrumentals are well executed, the producers understood the assignment, they all delivered. Calaz here managed to both deliver a project which fans of Jamaican reggae and fans of local reggae fans will both enjoy. The track One Drop is long, but its well executed, it feels like those well made medleys most enjoy and love. Mixing and mastering is all well done. What is now required is for Boss Yala to employ a band for live performances because this type of music deserves such. 

The themes tackled are mainly the love and relationship theme. On Ndichichema he addressed what happened between him and his ex wife, he finally gives his side of the drama that trended. Calaz also shares his personal prayers unto the Lord. On Zvandaida he shared the state of mind of many Zimbos, when one ends up living the life different from the one they hoped. 

On the vocals Seh Calaz was solid thoughout. He is one of the best vocalist in the genre and he showed it on this project. The many artists featured on One Drop Murudo Murudo all did very well, respect to Calaz for pulling off such a collaboration. Another strong point of this album are the backing vocals, they are on point throughout the project. 

To end this review, this album came with a lot of expectations and it has met them. Loved his Reggae Love Story project and this is in the same league, its impressive. My favorite track at the moment it's Iye Ndiye, what a lovely tune, it's living rent free in my heard since the first day I heard it. I recommend this project. 

My overall rating: 7.5/10

Feel free to share your thoughts on the album in the comments section.

Proud_Zimbo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZiJudgement Yard Volume Vol 23, 24 & Zimdancehall Vol 2

Judgement Yard Mixtapes: Volume 25 & 26

Mixtape Review : Brythreesixty - Purple Mars